Friday, November 21, 2008

Singapore stopover

Jetlag is something I didn't know about until we went on this trip. Mama explained that you get it from changing time zones when your body fails to realise that you have changed time zones. I get it and I got it.

We took a plane from London to Singapore and even though when we left it was cold and damp and when we arrived it was hot and humid, my body didn't realise we weren't in the same place. I slept late in Singapore to the point where Daddy was up before Mama and I! I thought that was impossible but he says he took out his video camera so he would have the evidence.

When we were ready we decided to go to Sentosa, an island connected to Singapore by a bridge. It is full of tourist things to do with a monorail, chairlift, beaches and golf courses.

We went on a really cool luge run. We took a chairlift to the top and had a very good view of the island before jumping on these little scooter-like things to go down the luge track. It was great fun and Daddy and I went down twice.

Afterwards we went for a swim; actually only I went in the water. It was nice and warm but I didn't think much of the taste. Daddy pointed to the big cargo ships across the bay and suggested they might be the reason the water wasn't all that good. Anyway, it wasn't but it was wet.

We caught a bus back from Sentosa and then looked at a few shops - Mama's idea of passing the time - before we hopped on a plane for Adelaide.

Home now and back to school. It's been great to see my friends again.

Mac

MILKSHAKE

In Singapore I got the feeling it was hard to keep things cool. The milkshake I had near the hotel was nice but it could've been a little colder and perhaps even a little more chocolate. Anyway, it was a four and half.

CONCLUSION

For six weeks we've been in search of the greatest milkshake in the world but it's been disappointing to learn nobody quite does it like Australia. Sure, the ones in the United States were pretty good and I guess I marked them down early thinking there would be better ones in other places, but nevertheless sitting back now I think the best milkshakes I have had are right here at home. The milkshakes in Europe were relatively hard to find but on the other hand, I can say I did discover hot chocolate in Italy. I think Starbucks make a very good hot chocolate too.

DADDY'S NOTE

It is always hard to believe when a journey like this comes to an end. The trip was about 15 months in the planning and when we actually stepped on the first plane we thought it would never end. Of course it did and it was a wonderful experience to share everything with the little man. To see his reaction to Mt Rushmore, snow, Lake Muskoka, going on a speedboat for the first time, seeing NY, surprising our friend Karen, seeing Lake Como, seeing Venice, the Collesium, the Eiffel Tower, even EuroDisney, Big Ben ... Sorry, a little indulgent there but you get the idea. 

We did discover really good milkshakes were hard to find and that surprised us both. In the end though I guess it's not really a surprise to find that there is nothing like home. Still, we are planning to test that theory in the future.

Thanks for your company on our journey.

Mac's Daddy. 

No comments: